Potty Training Pep Talk

Tuesday, June 14, 2016


I stare at the Minnie Mouse potty chair in the corner of the bathroom collecting dust and cringe. Have I been one of those Mommy slackers? We have had said potty set up in our bathroom since last July, and Baylee has only "used" it a hand full of times. (Though it makes a great step stool for hand washing and watching me do my makeup!) I create excuses in my head for all the reasons why we haven't given potty training a solid effort yet, and then realize the truth of the matter: Mommy doesn't know how to be ready.

I can't believe that my baby is 23 months old, and the thought of potty training her and not needing to change her diaper anymore terrifies me. I know, this sounds so crazy...but she's growing up so fast, and my heart can't take it! The other truth of the matter is that even with all the advice I've received and articles I've read, the whole concept of potty training blows right over my head. I have no idea where to even start.

The times that Baylee did go on the potty, she was about 18 months old and had just started to tell me whenever she pooped or peed. So, I took her cues and about once a day for a solid week or so she would use the potty. Then, she suddenly got the runs, and it lasted for two weeks. (Turned out to be a food allergy.) This put an end to any progress we made. So, for the next few months I would suggest using the potty now and then, but she never showed much interest. 

Fast forward to last Wednesday, it occurred to me that we had an entire week coming up with no plans. As much as it killed me, I went out and bought some Pull-Ups (Target brand of course!) and decided that we would give this potty training thing a go. Newsflash...my child suddenly hates potty training. Meh.



Every 20 minutes or so I would ask her if she wanted to use the potty. The first few times she would say "Yes!" and go sit on it. But she would get bored after about 3 minutes and run bare butt back to her toys. By the 5th or 6th time of me asking, she was annoyed and wouldn't even acknowledge me. So, we put a diaper on for her nap and I explained to her that when she woke up we would try again. She woke up with a diaper so full of pee that it was about to burst. The poor kid had been holding it all morning just so she wouldn't have to use the potty. I tried to put her Pull-Ups on her again and she cried "No, Mama, bi-per, no mama, bi-per." Too exhausted to make it a battle, I put a diaper on her and we never looked back. I had finally mustered up the courage, and it all went to hell. This is my cry for help...

I need a potty training pep talk. 




Until next time! XoXoXo

 

 


 

1 comment:

  1. You will figure it out , you are a GREAT Mother and Brian is a GREAT Dad.. together you two will figure it out and it will happen... takes time Y'all
    Just keep loveing her as much as you do and she will tell you when she is ready.... that advice from a Papa that never potty trained a baby in his life..lol...

    ReplyDelete