Starting Our IVF Journey

Friday, November 18, 2016

Image via Pinterest

As some of you may have read in my last post, Brian and I had our initial consultation with a Reproductive Endocrinologist on Wednesday. I avoided this like the plague for a few months, because I didn't want to hand over the reins for something that I should be able to have control over. One day, however, we were discussing it, and Brian looked at me with sad eyes and said "It's been two years and nothing's worked." and I knew it was time to stop being so proud and figure out how we were going to get me pregnant again.

Let me just start by saying I love the whole team at the fertility clinic we chose. They are so very nice and helpful, and I felt comfortable talking to our doctor right from the start. He explained so much to both Brian and me that we only vaguely understood before coming in. I now have a deeper understanding about why we haven't been able to get pregnant again and why Baylee is truly our little miracle.

I had an ultrasound during the consult and he found a total of 27 follicles on my ovaries. Meaning? I have PCOS. (polycystic ovary syndrome) I always kind of knew I had it, but my doctors have gone back and forth about it with me because I am at a healthy weight and have been pregnant before. Now it is affirmed that that is why my cycles are so wonky and why I don't always ovulate. Okay. Hurdle one.

After checking my ovaries, he wanted to check out the severity of my bicornuate uterus. It was literally the longest ultrasound ever because he couldn't get over what he was seeing. Apparently, my bicornuate is a lot worse off than I thought...to the point where if it separated any further, I would probably have two uteri. Here is a picture that kind of explains what we are dealing with here.

Image via Pinterest
So, as you can see, I have two "horns" so to speak. In order to get pregnant everything would have to take place in the correct horn on the side that I am ovulating from that cycle. There is no way to control that naturally especially since I don't always ovulate...and especially since not even the 5 cycles of Clomid helped. The doctor flat out told us, "Your chances of getting pregnant naturally again are highly unlikely." Ouch. So, basically Baylee was a complete miracle. I couldn't feel more blessed to have her!

When a couple has reached our point in the infertility process, the normal next step is to do IUI (intrauterine insemination). I, however, am not a candidate for it because of the risk of multiples. My uterus shape puts me at a high risk for pre-term labor, and even more so with multiples. So, our only option is to do IVF where the amount of embryos can be controlled.

The clinic got us pumped! They have a high IVF success rate, and since I am healthy, we can easily make this work. Then, yesterday we got the e-mail with the itemized breakdown of cost. I knew it was expensive, but seeing it all makes it too real. We are looking at anywhere from $15,000-$18,000 to be able to have another baby. Crushed is an understatement...I have no idea how we are going to do this. But, my always optimistic husband is hopeful.."We will figure it out!" We both want this baby more than words could ever explain.

My sisters, being the wonderful people that they are, decided to start a Go Fund Me site to help raise money for us to be able to achieve our dream of expanding our family and giving Baylee a sibling. Brian and I hate ever asking anyone for a handout (even our own family) so we rarely do, but this is something we want more than anything in the world. It would help us tremendously if anyone could donate, share our Go Fund Me site, and especially just pray for us. I have faith that God will give us another baby; He has just given us a mountain to climb before we get there.

As always, thank you all for your love and support! I really don't know what we would do without you all! I will try to do frequent updates on where we are at in the journey and how it is all going. 

I can't wait to make another life. :)

https://www.gofundme.com/help-the-tibbetts-create-baby-2
 

Until next time! XoXoXo

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!