The "Big Girl Bed" Debate

Monday, February 27, 2017


In a little over 4 months, Miss Baylee will be celebrating her 3rd birthday! I'm not sure how or when this happened that we started rapidly approaching the big 3, but it did, and my little baby is officially entering in to "big girl" territory. One thing we haven't conquered yet, however, is the "big girl bed".

Right now, Baylee is still sleeping in her crib. She can climb out of it on her own, but she doesn't unless she knows we have told her it's okay, and she's small (just about 36 inches and 30 pounds) so she technically hasn't outgrown it yet. She loves her cozy little space so much, so it has been a hard thing to come to terms with, but I think it may be time to move her to an actual bed.

My reasoning? Well, we are going to be doing our embryo transfer for IVF soon, so there is a very good chance I might be pregnant here in the coming months. Baylee can get out of her crib but she still hasn't figured out how to get in it, so I have to pick her up and put her in it at nap and bed time. I know this is something I just won't be able to do and shouldn't do while I'm preggo. Also, I have this sense of doom hovering around me that the longer we wait the harder it will be. I know she has gotten more and more stubborn just in the last 6 months, so I can't even imagine how she's going to be as we get closer to her birthday. And on the positive side, I'm actually really looking forward to being able to snuggle in bed with her to read a book, say prayers, and sing our songs before lights out. I think it will be a sweet and precious time. :)

The hubby disagrees with me that it's time to move her, and my biggest dilemma is that I can totally see his side. He feels that we would be pushing her to grow up too fast, when it's clear that she is perfectly content sleeping in her crib. Also, she is a great sleeper 95% of the time, so by moving her in to a big bed we would be potentially asking for a world of trouble when it comes to night time sleep and naps. Her crib is the kind where the front comes off so that it can turn in to a toddler day bed, so we have discussed doing that. My concern, however, is that we would have to be going through two transitions (aka sleepless nights) getting her used to the day bed and then having to do it all over again when we finally get her a twin. 

The struggle is real.

In the meantime, I have been slowly getting things purchased for her new "big girl room" that we will eventually upgrade her to once shes booted out of the nursery. ;) (I'll do a blog post on that as it gets closer!) I know she will be excited and do just fine no matter what we decide to do, but it can be so hard to decipher the true "readiness cues", so currently I'm completely lost. 

How did you know your kiddo was ready? Any advice for a smooth transition? 

Help! lol

Until next time! XoXoXo



No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!